LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Fri Aug 17 02:57:21 CEST 2007

I'm aware of the code for Scots, but I don't think that's the correct tag
in this case. I have the same film in two variants -- the original
Glaswegian English and dubbed British English. I need codes to distinguish
the two. Accents can cause mutual intelligibility problems, so in audio
variants I'd argue that accents matter. There are also some differences in
word choice and common colloquialisms.

The difference was apparently important enough to warrant an expensive
separate dubbing session by the original actors. English speakers who were
not from Scotland were not able to easily understand the Glaswegian
English, whereas British English was more easily understood.

Remember, in my industry we make a strong distinction between audio and
text languages as the same visual content can feature many different
subtitled and dubbed language tracks. To be clear, I'm NOT making any
suggestion that this tag should only apply to audio language, though
that's the only place we'd use it.

Regards,

Karen Broome

Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
08/16/2007 05:27 PM

ietf-languages at alvestrand.no
cc

Subject
Re: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

There are codes for Scots. You want a code for the Scottish accent?