LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Aug 16 23:37:08 CEST 2007

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com scripsit:

> [Note: It appears that the UN has assigned an m49 code for Scotland
> (829?). If this is more appropriate, please let me know. A shorter
> regional tag might be nice.]

Hmm, that's mysterious.  827 (England and Wales), 828 (Northern
Ireland), and 829 (Scotland) don't appear on the master page at
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49alpha.htm , nor in the change
list at http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49chang.htm , but they
are used in the Common Database at the same site, which says that UNSD
does use them officially.  (For comparison, the U.K. is 826.)

I'd say let's hold off on this one until we can get UNSD to say what
they are doing.

--
There is / One art                      John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
No more / No less                       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan