be-tarask

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 19:43:37 CEST 2007

On 24/04/07, CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> unless the name 'classic' turns out to have a history of really offending
> some members of the Belarussian community.

"Classic" is ideological, in-group, fairly recent (c.1994) invention.
As often as not text containing description "classic" would also
mention "narkamauka", the derisive term for the whole post-1933
normative line of development of the Belarusian. So, it's always
opinionating: "classic" ("good for us") vs. "narkamauka" ("bad for
us").

That's why I suggest to leave the word "classic" there only in the
translated title of the ref. book, which I suggest to add -- to keep
everybody happy.

---