[Ltru] RE: "mis" update review request

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Sat Apr 14 23:49:51 CEST 2007

Peter Constable wrote:
> From: Kent Karlsson [mailto:kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se]
>
> > I would rather see "mis" as saying "linguistic content"
> > (but not specified which language), opposite to "no
> > linguistic content", but quite close to "und" (which
> > seems to cover both "no linguistic content" and "linguistic
> > content" and maybe also 'mul', II understand the debate
> > so far).
>
> "" means 'I'm giving no information.'

Agreed, but if one removes the subjective parts here, then
"" and "und" are then very much the same. The content can
(appropriately) be in any (human) language or languages, or
maybe have no linguistic content. Both would cover all and
any (human) language or languages as well as have no linguistic
content.

> und means 'I have not determined what the language attribute
> is of this information object.'

I'm not too keen on the subjectiveness ("I") here. It assumes
that the "I" (or "we") is somehow known or knowable for a use
instance.

> mul means 'I have detected that this information object
> contains at least one portion X in some language Lx and a
> different portion Y in some different language Ly.'

ok.

> mis means 'I have determined that this information object is
> in a language other than the set of languages covered by the
> available identifiers.'

That would be "other (human) language". But you want to remove
the "other" from the collection names, and I guess that means a
semantic change too. "mis" would then include all languages
in-scope, not just the ones without a code (or more specific
collection code) of their own.

If you include the "other" part here, "mis" in a 639-3 setting
is the empty set of languages (at least until a new in-scope
language is discovered/invented).

Assuming instead a "mis" without the "other" part, "mis" would
say "any one (human) language", almost the same as "und" and
"" except that "mis" would not cover "mul" nor "zxx".

But "mis" with and without "other" are quite different: empty
set (w.r.t. 639-3) vs. the set of all individual languages.

> zxx means 'I have determined that this information object is
> not expressed in terms of a human language.'

Ok (and some subjectiveness must remain...).

		/kent k