[Ltru] Re: "mis" update review request

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Apr 14 09:20:44 CEST 2007

From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:randy_presuhn at mindspring.com]

> I find it very hard to believe that a reasonable analysis
> (whether done by human or machine) would classify a text a
> being "mis" without being able to recognize which of the
> languages in that grouping the text belonged to.  I can
> believe someone could look at text and say "it's a slavic
> language, but I'm not sure which one."  Do we really think
> someone or something would look at some text and say "it's
> Ainu, Andamanese, or Etruscan, but I can't tell which, so
> I'll tag it 'mis'"?

If someone were so tempted, I would argue that would be inappropriate use of mis. Since they do not know what it is, their declaration is that the language identity is not determined, and the appropriate tag for that is und. Appropriate use of mis does not require that one know the language of the content; it does, however, require that one know it is *not* a language covered by any of the available tags.

Peter