[Ltru] mis, und, art (was: "mis" update review request)

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Apr 14 01:21:13 CEST 2007

From: Frank Ellermann [mailto:nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de]

> The only other alternative I see is to deprecate the "mis" tag
> either by convincing ISO 639, or with brute force in 4646bis.

I don't think it would be appropriate for ISO 639 to deprecate mis. It is assumed that a large set of coded categories are provided and that particular applications may wish to use a "profile" -- i.e. some subset of the inventory. In the context of a particular application context using some particular profile, mis may be appropriate as the "else" category. But it would be up to that application to determine appropriate usage, including how to deal with maintenance issues.

Peter