A request from your reviewer

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Apr 13 17:09:34 CEST 2007

At 16:49 +0200 2007-04-13, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>  > There is nothing I can do about that. Perhaps Harald can check the
>>  settings.
>
>No, this is a setting in *your* MUA (Mail User Agent).

Oh, joy. Now I get to spend a lot of time on THIS.

When I hit Reply on my machine, my mail client puts your address (as
the sender) and the ietf-languages at iana.org address in the To: field.
I try to be courteous and edit this so that you do not get a message
from me as well as from the list.

I can do nothing about other people who do not edit their own To:
fields to contain only the ietf-languages at iana.org address.

Evidently when people hit reply their headers show both my address
and the ietf-languages at iana.org address in the To: and/or Cc: fields
and I HAVE ASKED is for people to LOOK at their headers and try to
not do this because I really am tired of getting two copies of
everything. There is no need for that.

>  > The easiest solution is for people to exercise a little courtesy and
>>  edit their headers when they hit Reply.
>
>It is not obvious wether the courtesy should be in the original sender
>(who should add a Reply-To or Mail-Followup-To if he does not want to
>filter out duplicates) or in the "replier".

There is nothing my mail client can do about "filtering out
duplicates". This is why I have asked people on this list to pay
attention to their headers. I am tired of getting two copies of
everything, and the reason I get two copies of everything is that
people are sending BOTH to the list AND to me and I want them to stop
sending to me but ONLY to the list.

Please? Am I asking so much?