Korean (and Japanese)

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Sep 29 17:51:24 CEST 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Mark Davis wrote:
> A more realistic (but still, of course, somewhat contrived) example would
> be:
> "He didn't do it for her beer, he did it for her sake."

Indeed.  There is a joke about a sansei named Peter Yamamoto who decided
to brew sake here in the US, and how people would do anything for Pete's
sake...

> And when push comes to shove, only in extremely rare instances will people
> tag language on a very fine grained level. Frankly, at Google we end up
> having to basically disregard language tagging of web pages because it is
> so, so often wrong.

I agree.  It isn't just language tagging.  Charset tagging is often also
wrong.  Some people are under the mistaken impression that the way to tag
"8-bit content" is to set charset to ISO-8859-1, even though the actual
content is Korean, etc.

For what it's worth, I just got private email from the mighty Morfin power
ranger.  I sent back a sharp response telling him not to send me any more
email.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc