CLDR mysteries solved!

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Sep 28 04:57:57 CEST 2006

Mark Davis scripsit:

Google search of www.ethnologue.com is your friend.

> ??? ;   Aisor ; [Cyrl]
> ??? ;   Assyrian (modern) ;     [Syrc]

Synonyms for Assyrian Neo-Aramaic (syr-aii).

> ??? ;   Bahasa ;        [Latn]

This is the Malay/Indonesian word for "language", so it's
probably a synonym for either one (they are very similar
but not identical).

> ??? ;   Balear ;        [Latn]

Dialect of Catalan spoken in the Balearic islands.

> ??? ;   Balkar ;        [Cyrl]

Dialect of Karachay-Balkar (krc).

> ??? ;   Bugis ; [Bugi]

Synonym for Buginese (bug)

> ??? ;   Buryat ;        [Cyrl]

Synonym for Russia Buriat (bxr)

> ??? ;   Cham ;  [Cham]*

Could be Western Cham (cja) in Cambodia or Eastern Cham (cjm) in Vietnam.

> ??? ;   Chhattisgarhi ; [Deva]

Code hne.

> ??? ;   Chukchi ;       [Cyrl]

Should be Chukot (ckt).  "Chukchi" is the ethnonym.

> ??? ;   Dungan ;        [Cyrl]

Code dng.  Linguistically part of the Mandarin Chinese dialect
continuum, but sociolinguistically separate because written in
Cyrillic and spoken in Russia.

> ??? ;   Edo ;   [Latn]

Code bin.

Apparently means ar-Syrc.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garshuni .

> ??? ;   Gascon ;        [Latn]

Code oc-gsc (part of the Occitan macrolanguage).

> ??? ;   Judezmo ;       [Hebr]

Synonym for Ladino (lad).

> ??? ;   Kankan ;        [Deva]

Synonym for Eastern Maninkakan (emk)

> ??? ;   Khakass ;       [Cyrl]

Spelling error or synonym for Khakas (kjh)

> ??? ;   Koryak ;        [Cyrl]

Code kpy.

> ??? ;   Lapp ;  [Latn]

One of the Saami languages ("Lapp" is derogatory).
See http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=90977 .

> ??? ;   Mordvin ;       [Cyrl]

A genetic grouping comprising Erzya (myv) and Moksha (mdf).

> ??? ;   Naga ;  [Latn]; [Beng]

A genetic grouping comprising 25 languages, most called "X Naga";
see http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=92044 .
Also Naga Pidgin (nag).

> ??? ;   Riang ; [Beng]

Code ril.

> ??? ;   Swadaya ;       [Syrc]

Dialect of syr-aii (see above).

> ??? ;   Tamazight ;     [Tfng], [Latn]

Probably Central Atlas Tamazight (tzm), but might be intended to include
two other Tamazight languages (tjo, tia).

> ??? ;   Tsalagi ;       (see Cherokee)

Synonym for Cherokee (chr).

> ??? ;   Tuva ;  [Cyrl]

Tuvin (tyv); "Tuva" is the locality name.

> ??? ;   Udekhe ;        [Cyrl]

Synonym for Udihe (ude).

John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan      cowan at ccil.org
Be yourself.  Especially do not feign a working knowledge of RDF where
no such knowledge exists.  Neither be cynical about RELAX NG; for in
the face of all aridity and disenchantment in the world of markup,
James Clark is as perennial as the grass.  --DeXiderata, Sean McGrath