langauge vs. locale (was: RE: Suppress-Script candidates (was: Re:frr, fy, ngo, tt))

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Thu Sep 28 03:16:06 CEST 2006

Now, the difference between "language" identifiers and "locale" identifiers
is notoriously slippery, so I'll provide some background on how CLDR is
actually structured, so you don't have to guess.

The CLDR data is separated into language-specific data, and non-language
specific data. The language-specific data does *not* include items like the
currencies for a country, or the weekend days, etc.; that is all in the
non-language specific data. Here are some examples:
http://unicode.org/cldr/data/common/collation/
http://unicode.org/cldr/data/common/main/

The non-language-specific data includes which currencies were valid in a
particular country during which years, or which languages are customarily
written in which scripts. Some examples are:
http://unicode.org/cldr/data/common/supplemental/
http://unicode.org/cldr/data/common/transforms/

The so-called locale inheritance is used for the language-specific data, not
the non-language-specific data, so it would be more accurate to call it
language inheritance. The vast majority of the language-specific data does
not differ by country. While, for example, the content of en.xml is chosen
to be appropriate for the the most populous country speaking en (the US),
that doesn't mean that content is *always* inappropriate for many of the
other regions that could use English (eg AG AI AS AU AW BB BM BS BW BZ CA CC
CK CM CX DM ER FJ FK FM GB GD GH GI GM GY HK IE IN IO JM KE KI KN KY LC LR
LS MH MP MS MT MW NA NF NG NR NU NZ PG PH PK PN PW RW SB SG SH SL SZ TC TK
TO TT TZ UG UM US VC VG VI ZA ZM ZW).

In cases where content does differ according to the region, such as the UK,
then one includes overrides of what is in en.XML. (Where the
language-specific data for two locale/language tags are the same and
different than the base, one can be aliased (either in full or in part) to
the other. Thus if en_ZW, for example, followed UK spelling conventions,
then it could be aliased to en_UK. While the files use "_", CLDR recognizes
"-" and "_" as equivalent in identifiers.)

You say:
>But clearly there is no such thing as a region-neutral English locale

This sentence is a bit slippery; it depends highly on what one means by
locale. Let me recast it. For a given type of content (eg country names) and
a given language subtag, there may be differences among regions (as defined
by BCP47) or it may be that all regions share the same values. (For that
matter, there may be differences *within* regions, as well -- either
according to sub-region that BCP 47 isn't fine-grained enough for (eg for
some speech applications the differences Bostonian English may be
important).

Where there are differences in regions, the region is important. Where there
are not differences between regions, the region is not important. Thus in
many cases, the CLDR data does not differ by country at all, so requiring a
country subtag is pointless. In that sense, I'd say your sentence

> that region is a key attribute of a locale,

is false. Region may or may not be significant, depending on the content,
and depending on the language.

If you meant to say that the *ability* to have a region as a component of
locale/language is key, then I'd agree with you -- otherwise one couldn't
distinguish between en-US and en-UK content.

I do, however, agree with you on the major point: this is all about
*defaults*; identifiers have an inherent limitation -- they represent some
class of users, within which there will always be variations.

Mark