Suppress-Script candidates (was: Re: frr, fy, ngo, tt)

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 27 20:50:51 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Don Osborn

> In fact, as we look at the possibility of a lot more locale
> data being compiled for minority/MINEL/pi languages, many
> of which are found uniquely within one country and may have
> a limited history of writing in only one script, this issue
> is potentially significant.
> Thinking of people writing locales, "suppress script" might
> handle the script issue if inserted into the data before
> someone without clear understanding of the system can enter
> in a redundant choice of (default) script. Is there anything
> like "suppress country" (which sounds more dangerous than it
> is, given the narrow technical focus here)?

My initial inclination is to suggest that locales are different beasts than linguistic documents, that region is a key attribute of a locale, and therefore that locales IDs should have different requirements than we place on tags used to declare linguistic attributes of documents, namely that a locale ID must always include a region component as well as a language component.

Thoughts?

Peter Constable