REQUEST for registration of variant subtag 'grabar'

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 26 02:57:36 CEST 2006

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
[mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Michael
Everson
At 00:05 +0200 2006-09-26, JFC Morfin wrote:

>What is choking is that Peter and Michael did not understand, know,
>realise why this is a BIG bug. Something they should obviously have
>known as language experts - what I am not - and that lay people like
>me and others with an average historic knowledge and cultural
>background do know and are chocked by. Peter today's mail is an
>additional concern, since Peter tries to manipulate the list against
>common culture and needed usage.
>
>I could understand Peter ignored the "Grabar" name. I am very
>surprised that he did not know about its history. I am puzzled that
>after having been reminded about it, he tries to hide his ignorance
>and use it at his own advantage.

I trust it is clear to all that I have not opposed the registration of a
variant subtag for Grabar because I wish to manipulate any list against
common culture and needed usage, or because I am trying to hide my
ignorance. Rather, it is because I believe users needing a tag for
Grabar content will be best served, and the overall coherence of our
system of ISO 639 IDs and RFC 4646 tags will be optimized, if this
variety is given an identifier in ISO 639 rather than being coded with a
variant subtag.

Peter Constable