REQUEST for registration of variant subtag 'grabar'

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 25 17:56:08 CEST 2006

It's probably relevant to point out that Mr. Morfin asked me offline to add Classical Armenian to the code table for 639-3. That was a direct request to me as editor, not via the RA, and I told him that I could not take unilateral action of that sort but that he needed to submit his request to the JAC.

His response revealed that he was not pursuing this because of an immediate user need but rather was pursuing this with an ulterior agenda:

"If I
chose to support Grabar it was to show you and Michael Everson how
shocking was the IESG disrespect of RFC 4646 IRT the IANA list.
Increasing the confusion (created by the lack of definition of what
is a language in Internet context) between the ISO 639 academic work
and the IETF supposed duty to document [sic] a better Internet (RFC 3935
by Harald) for human real life interrelations."

This list should not allow itself to be manipulated for such ulterior purposes.

Peter Constable