Need to move "en-boont" and "en-scouse" to redundant

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 25 04:43:34 CEST 2006

As some of you may know, IANA released a revised copy of the Language
Subtag Registry on September 20 with four new variant subtags (boont,
scouse, arevela, arevmda) that were proposed and approved on this list.

IANA did everything correctly according to the instructions sent to
them.  However, two additional, related instructions to IANA were
overlooked: the existing grandfathered tags "en-boont" and "en-scouse"
need to be reclassified as redundant tags, because they can now be
wholly composed from registered subtags.  We need to send IANA the
additional instructions to correct this.

In private correspondence, Michael agreed to forward these two requests
to IANA if I send them to him.  This should not be controversial, and
should not be subject to any review period beyond the 2-week period
already exercised for the subtags themselves.  The process is spelled
out in Section 3.4, item 12 of RFC 4646 (not Section 3.6; thanks to
Frank Ellermann for finding this bogus reference).

If there are no process-related objections, I will send the necessary
requests to Michael in 24 hours, at 3:00 UTC on Tuesday, September 26.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA