Request for variant subtag "scouse"

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 2 09:26:41 CEST 2006

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> replied to Michael
Everson:

>> It's like the two tags for Yiddish.
>
> There are not "two" Yiddish tags, please note. Only "yi-Latn" was ever
> in the old registry---and it's redundant ('yi' and 'Latn' both being
> valid subtags).

Michael was talking about the two language subtags "ji" and "yi", both
of which mean Yiddish.

The first was deprecated in ISO 639 way back in 1989, but because it was
listed in the 1988 edition of ISO 639 that was referenced by RFC 1766
and 3066, it could have been conformantly used in language tags.
Because we wanted all valid RFC 1766 and 3066 language tags to also be
valid in RFC 3066bis, we had little choice but to add "ji" to the
Registry -- though we could (and did) mark it as deprecated.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA