Wikimedia language codes

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 14:30:46 CET 2006

On 11/13/06, Wentry System <wentry at dirsafe.com> wrote:
>  Doug has not though about the private x-tags enough (this was not
>  their focus). I stronglly advise you to avoid collision in using
>  "x-wpk-" headers. This also permits you to support easily different
>  updates ("x-wkp1-", "x-wkp3-", etc.)

There is no way on Earth you would ever want or need to update using
x-wkp1-, x-wkp3-, etc. If an old code isn't working for you, obsolete
it. So long as you don't reuse it, you'll be able to find material
tagged with the obsolete code that needs to be handled by the new
tags, which can be in the same namespace.

The odds that there will be a collision is not worth the extra verbige
of -wpk- IMO. Provided you use reasonably descriptive names, the odds
someone will randomly choose the same one is low. I doubt these names
will escape Wikipedia much, and everyone knows that the private x-
tags from other sources need to sanatized before using.