Reshat Sabiq's requests for two Tatar orthographic variants

Gerard Meijssen gerardm at wiktionaryz.org
Mon Nov 13 19:31:32 CET 2006

Michael Everson wrote:
> At 15:50 +0100 2006-11-13, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>> Doug Ewell wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> +1, "ussrlatn" would be somewhat odd as subtag.
>
> Do you think Wikipedia is a sufficient source, and that the specific
> orthography is unambiguous? I for one need confirmation as to whether
> it is the orthography used in the 1938 dictionary.
Hoi,
Wikipedia has as it's policy that original resource is not allowed. When
people want to "prove" that there language or whatever exists based on
the existence of a Wikipedia article, they could only prove this based
on the sources quoted with the Wikipedia article. When these sources are
sufficient to convince you, the Wikipedia article is suffices.

This is different from when a Wikipedia has been started. This might at
some stage be of a sufficient size and consistency that you might
consider this enough of a corpus to aid you in determining that a
language or dialect exists.
Thanks,
   Gerard