WiktionaryZ language codes

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Nov 13 15:24:46 CET 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 01:55:37PM +0100,
 Gerard Meijssen <gerardm at wiktionaryz.org> wrote
 a message of 140 lines which said:

> I am not sure what ISO ? standard would deal with dialects.

I do not think there is one. May be the future ISO 639-6?

In the mean time, under the RFC 4646 umbrella, dialects are handled by
variants. For instance, the eastern dialect of armenian is:

Type: variant
Subtag: arevela
Added: 2006-09-18
Prefix: hy

> Many languages like the Dutch language, have regular changes to the
> official orthography. For the Dutch language this happens every ten
> years. It is imho important to be able to tag text and words
> correctly to the orthography used. Only indicating something as
> Dutch is minimalistic and prevents the use of content for other
> purposes. It is not clear to me how you deal with this.

Under the RFC 4646 umbrella, orthographies are handled by
variants. For instance, for german:

Type: variant
Subtag: 1901
Added: 2005-10-16