[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Mar 14 18:56:16 CET 2006

Randy Presuhn wrote:

> Ira McDonald wrote:
> >
> > Umm - all existing network printers are going to fail to
> > "do something reasonable" if you send them ANY language
> > tag that includes a script subtag - because they don't
> > have parsers to take it apart - so they'll fall back to
> > the administrator/manufacturer configured default document
> > language.  This applies BOTH to external tags (in print
> > protocols) and internal tags (in print datastreams, like
> > PostScript or XML instance documents).
>
> Let's work through a specific example.
> Document tagged ga-Latg-IE. Printer defaults to en.
>    (1) What will go wrong?
>    (2) How is this different from a document tagged en-US, which
>         contains a single word which, if it had been tagged,
> would have
>         been tagged ga-Latg-IE?

Depending on the tagged charset, various things will go wrong.

If the charset tag is 'UTF-8' it's useless info, so the printer
will guess the script and character repertoire and _font_ based
on the language tag - which fall back in this example to 'en-US'.

That font won't contain the accents necessary to render ga-Latg-IE,
so a bunch of those annoying little black squares will replace every
character that's not in the US-ASCII subset of the Latin script.

Which seems serious to me, but perhaps it's just that user's
problem, huh?

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc