Apostrophes in non-ASCII names

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 28 18:37:40 CEST 2006

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

>> 1.  Whether to include alternative Description fields with ASCII
>> apostrophe where only a non-ASCII apostrophe currently exists, to
>> assist viewing and searching (N’Ko).
>
> Leave it as it is.

Several people, at least John and Richard and Mark C, have asked for
such a thing.

>> 2.  Whether to include alternative Description fields with non-ASCII
>> apostrophe where only an ASCII apostrophe currently exists, because
>> it is the "correct" character (Mi'kmaq).
>
> Just correct the spelling,  then ask for it to be corrected in the ISO
> std.

At least one person has said we should not make this "correction" until
it has been made in the standard.  Asking an MA to change something is
no guarantee it will ever happen (nor should it be).

>> 3.  Whether to deviate from the descriptions in the ISO standard
>> unilaterally, or ask the relevant MA/RA to make the change (Gwich´in)
>
> Just correct the spelling, then ask for (already done) it to be
> corrected in the ISO std.

See above.

>> 4.  Whether to use comments instead of alternative Descriptions to
>> indicate ASCII-folded names (Addison's idea).
>
> No, that will just create the same problems as have been refuted
> already.

Obviously Addison might disagree.  This is why I felt there is no
consensus.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA