language tag en-cutspell

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 22 19:42:35 CEST 2006

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> What an appalling reform strategy. It looks ugly and illiterate. "th"
> for "the" indeed. Rubbish.

Deseret used "th" for "the".

> The only credible reform for English spelling in my view is that of
> Axel Wijk. See his Regularized English, a very sensible plan. If only
> the non-native speakers of English worldwide would choose to adopt
> it... Or the Simplified Spelling Society for that matter.

I thought our job as a reviewing list, and the Reviewer's as final
arbiter, was to evaluate the suitability of proposed subtags on the
basis of whether the entity being tagged is well-defined and documented,
and whether the subtag meets syntactic criteria, not whether the entity
is "appalling" or "ugly," or not "credible" or "sensible."  I may have
been mistaken.

I don't like Cut Spelling either and have no plans to use it, ever, but
then I'd say the same thing about Boontling or Enochian.

> If we are going to go the route of giving tags for English spelling
> reforms, we ought to do several of them. I would not like to appear as
> though we were supporting something as awful as "Cut Spelling" over
> something more reasonable.

Approving a subtag for registration that someone else has proposed
doesn't constitute "supporting" the entity itself, although I know there
are some people who see it that way.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA