A proposed solution for descriptions

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jun 21 16:06:43 CEST 2006

At 09:55 -0400 2006-06-21, John Cowan wrote:

>The best and most reliable place to correct an error is nearest
>to the source of the error; that way not only we, but all other
>clients of 639-2, gain the benefit of the right result.
>Which is better, to quietly correct your copy of a paper that
>contains a typo, or to write to the author and get a general
>correction inserted?

If you are asking me what I want, I want these corrections made to
our registry and I want this thread CLOSED.

>  > I do NOT want to have to revisit this over and over and over.
>
>You don't.  The ISO 19524/RA (that's you) fixes it once, and then
>the Official Doug (that's Doug) fixes it in the registry, which
>you then bless as Registrar.  No debate needed.

But we have to fix the 639 and the 3166 problems too, and that will
be later and not now, because for some incomprehensible reason you
consider the spellings they have to be NORMATIVE rather than
INFORMATIVE.