A proposed solution for descriptions (was: Re: ISO 639 - Newitem approved - N'Ko)

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Jun 20 16:27:20 CEST 2006

At 16:13 +0200 2006-06-20, Kent Karlsson wrote:
>Ciarán Ó Duibhín wrote:
>>  In the case of "Côte d'Ivoire" there is no such doubt.  The mark functions
>>  and should be processed as an apostrophe ('), not as a
>>  right single quote (’).
>
>The preferred character for a punctuation apostrophe is U+2019.
>U+0027 is a typewriterish apostrophe (it has a symmetric, and usually
>rather ugly, glyph). The names of characters don't tell the full story.

I agree. Before the advent of the typewriter, the
apostrophe proper and the right single quote were
of course the same thing, and there was no
vertical apostrophe. It is only the limitation of
the number of keys on a typewriter that  the
vertical apostrophe and double-quote mark were
invented.

Unclean! Unclean!