A proposed solution for descriptions

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Mon Jun 19 17:44:05 CEST 2006

Doug Ewell wrote:
> Perhaps the best thing it to propose a modification only for the Amis
> tag, and withdraw all other proposals until we can get this
> worked out.

+1.

B.t.w.

A "bokmal" is a kind of insect, in Latin called Atropus
pulsatorius. It cannot speak bokmål, though I'm sure
it has literally consumed books in that language (as
well as many other languages). Another kind of "bokmal"
is a person that reads a lot of books, not necessarily in
bokmål. But it has a derogatory connotation. I'm sure lots
of Norwegians would object to calling bokmål "bokmal".

And a "cote" (in French) is a quotation (or dimension (or sizing?)).
"Ivory quotation"? "Ivory dimension"? I don't think that is
acceptable as a name for a country.

There is no diacritic in "Åland" (though there is a combining
character in the NFD form of that string, but that is
something else). Nor is there a diacritic in "Göteborg".

Now, can we please kill this "ASCIIification" project as it
stands. If there was one place that I had hoped one would
not need to argue that was this particular forum.