A proposed solution for descriptions

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Jun 19 05:58:37 CEST 2006

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> "Deseret (Mormon)" or "Falkland Islands (Malvinas)".

The last one, at least, is politically very touchy and I would *NOT*
modify it under any circumstances.  A war was fought about whether
the islands were to be called "Falklands" or "Malvinas"; the current
form smells of carefully crafted compromise and should be left exactly
as is.

> I still need to spend some additional time studying ISO 11179.  My
> knee-jerk reaction, with regard to using one of the Description fields
> as a Unique Identifier, is that I would hate to be in the situation that
> Unicode and ISO 10646 have found themselves with character names.

I have not read 11179, but is there some reason why the code element
itself cannot be the Unique Identifier?

By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall     cowan at ccil.org
have neither the Ring nor me!  --Frodo          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan