A proposed solution for descriptions (was: Re: ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Jun 11 22:09:15 CEST 2006

Mark Crispin scripsit:

> I assume that the problems with doing this are now understood.  I-Ds and
> RFCs are restricted to ASCII for a reason.  I understand why LTRU tried
> to get around that restriction.  But it was wrong to do so.

To say something is wrong without more is to suggest that some alternative
course of action is right.  But here we have only wrong courses of action.
The advantage of the escape sequences is that they preserve information.

> I'm sure that there is a proper forum for the free-for-all, just not
> here.

The proper forums for *action* are the ISO 639 Registration Authorities,
the ISO 15924 Registration Authority, and the ISO 3166 Maintenance
Agency.  The proper forums for discussion, I don't know.

--
John Cowan                              <cowan at ccil.org>
            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan