ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Jun 8 20:43:02 CEST 2006

>  > From: "Mark Davis" <mark.davis at icu-project.org>
>  > I have a preference for either:
>  >
>  > a) always use the generic "yellow-label" apostrophe (0027), or

But the character in question is not always an
apostrophe/quote. Sometimes it is a letter.

>  > b) always use the correct mark (which may be either 2019 or 02BC, depending
>  > on what the intended meaning is).

This is the right thing to do.

At 11:38 -0700 2006-06-08, Randy Presuhn wrote:

>Mine preference would be either
>a) always "flatten" to 0027 or

If we did this we should want to strip out all
non-ASCII characters, so "Côte" > "Cote" and so
on. I think that's a bad idea. There's this thing
called Unicode, you know....

>c) use exactly what was used in the source standard, and, when what the
>    source standard uses is arguably incorrect, notify that standard's
>    maintainer so the error can be corrected.  With luck, and time, this
>    would achieve the same result as "b", but with less confusion.

I think we can do better than using a grave to
approximate a letter-apostrophe. We should do
what is right. It's not all that hard.