[Ltru] Language and script encoding standards

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Jul 14 10:46:28 CEST 2006

Hello John,

Many thanks for doing this so quickly and precisely.

With regards to transliterations, I think two uses have to be
distinguished:
a) Transliterations for human users. These will continue to be
   used.
b) Transliterations for computers, i.e. to get around limitations
   in encodings or software. Beta coding is clearly such an example.
   These will die out. Rather than copying beta code into XML,
   converting it back to the real stuff is highly advisable
   (and a tool is apparently provided on that Web site).

With respect to not yet encoded scripts, such as those mentioned in
the article, there are various cases:
- Things not really scripts, rejected (e.g. Klingon)
- Variants that are not considered independent scripts
- Not yet encoded scripts. In this case, it's much more
  useful to work on documentation and stuff for getting
  the script encoded in Unicode rather than to invent yet
  another transliteration.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp