language subtag registration request: Region EU

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Thu Jan 19 18:34:00 CET 2006

This is not really a tenable goal. There are a couple of hundred false
negatives (as you call them) for essentially every language already in
3066. Does ja-AQ differ substantially from ja or ja-RO or ja-RU? The
addition of the region codes, and the addition of EU, does not alter
that in any material sense; they are really drops in the bucket.

Instead, the goal is to provide people with the tools to express
distinctions that are important in their domain of interest, but to
caution people not to make unnecessary distinctions in a broader domain.
And in a narrow domain, there very well may be some use to
distinguishing ja-RO from ja-RU.

Mark