ADMIN: Suspension of posting privilleges for Jefsey Morfin

Brian E Carpenter brc at zurich.ibm.com
Fri Jan 13 17:17:29 CET 2006

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> --On fredag, januar 13, 2006 10:35:20 +0000 Michael Everson
> <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
>
>> At 08:37 +0100 2006-01-13, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>>
>>> Posting privilleges suspended until February 13, 2006, according to
>>> RFC 3934 section 2, which does not permit longer suspensions under
>>> the rules of that RFC.
>>

>> Why is a list run by alvestrand.no subject to RFC 3934?
>

> It's a list run to fulfil the requirement for a mailing list specified
> in RFC 3066 and 3066bis.
>
> The way I try to make sense of how the IETF works, if it didn't behave
> as if it was subject to RFC 3934, the IETF would be justified in asking
> someone else to take on the job of running the list.

Harald, I believe it would have better if you had phrased it as
"by analogy with RFC 3934" rather than "according to RFC 3934"
which is specific to WG lists. But indeed people should note that
the languages list is an official IETF non-WG list (shown at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/nwg_list.cgi). The IESG has
considered in the past that applying RFC 3934 by analogy is
reasonable for such lists (including the appeal process, which
JFC is currently using for his previous ban).

     Brian