language subtag registration request: Region EU

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Thu Jan 12 14:45:53 CET 2006

Markus Scherer wrote:

> I realize that the RFC 3066bis registration process is not in
> force yet

The IANA language subtag registry exists, 3066bis is approved
waiting for its number, and the old RfC 3066 registry is closed
- isn't that already good enough to use the new registry ?

>    Type: Region
>    Subtag: EU

No ISO 3166.1 "assigned" country code, so that's not allowed
by 3066bis, "exceptionally reserved" isn't enough.  One of the
reasons why I hope that they'll soon assign GG, IM, and JE.

You could use region codes like 150 (Europe).  It's not the
same as EU, but maybe the smallest region including the EU:

<http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry>

I'm not sure about overseas territories of France and the UK,
do some or all of them belong to the EU ?  Probably irrelevant
for language tags.
                              Bye, Frank