Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c Resubmitted!

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 20 20:25:50 CET 2006

>Thank you for the extended examples.  You identified
>one as "frm". Which of the examples would be tagged
>"fr-1606Nict" and which would be tagged "frm-1606Nict"
>using the proposed subtags?  What are the criteria for
>deciding to use one or the other?
>
>The data you've given seem to justify using the tags
>fr, frm, and fr-1606Nict.  What I seem to have missed
>is a clear case for frm-1606Nict, distinct from frm
>and from fr-1606Nict.
>
>Randy

Hi, I think that DuBellay's "Deffence et illustration de la langue
francoyse" (1549) is pretty much frm though it is getting modernized so that
the differences between the two are becoming more orthographic;
the later poetry of the Pleiade moves toward fr and so does Montaigne's
writing, but even in the 17th century you get frm (in the Americas, in some
parts of France).
The problem is some of the changes in French in the later 16th century are
not in Nicot alas; though Nicot promises to catalogue both ancien and
moderne Francais.

Most everything seems to be in the 1694 dictionary most everything from both
centuries, as far as I can tell, new words from the Americas too, but I have
not researched every word there and probably will not get to.

I do not know how this muddies the waters and the possible tag names.

I might like fr, frm 16siecle and then fr, frm 1694 or 1694acad but I liked
17siecle too--though I do not mind tagging the siecle tags to the
dictionaries somehow.

Thanks.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com