Name changes in ISO 639-2

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Dec 15 15:26:33 CET 2006

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> >Code element: btk
> >Was: Batak (Indonesia)
> >Now: Batak languages
>
> I assume it is fair to delete "(Indonesia)" from here.

Yeah, delete.

> >Code element: arn
> >Was: Araucanian
> >Now: Mapudungun; Mapuche
>
> Delete "Araucanian" or just add the new ones?

Emphatically delete.  "Araucanian" (or rather the Spanish terms with
the same root) are now considered derogatory by both the Mapuche and
the scholarly communities.

> Code element: rm
> Was: Raeto-Romance
> Now: Romansch
>
> Delete "Raeto-Romance" or just add the new one?  (Note that the ISO
> 639-3 files spell this word "Romansh" without the C.)

Delete.  Rhaeto-Romance (not sure why the "h" is missing) is a subfamily
of the Romance languages, including at least Friulian (fur in 639-2)
and Ladin (lld in draft 639-3) as well as Romans(c)h.  (There are a lot
of ways to spell the latter.)

--
After fixing the Y2K bug in an application:     John Cowan
        WELCOME TO <censored>                   cowan at ccil.org
        DATE: MONDAK, JANUARK 1, 1900           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan