Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Dec 13 02:03:54 CET 2006

At 16:49 -0800 2006-12-12, Mark Davis wrote:

>So "Middle Cornish" refers to the language of the fourteenth and
>fifteenth centuries, for example. This doesn't mean that Middle
>Cornish was unchanging during that period, of course, and a scholar
>could well want to refer to the typically language of the 14th
>century vs the 15th century. Now, of course, we could go down the
>line of saying that every time a scholar wants to refer to something
>on a century level s/he has to go cap in hand to M. Everson and
>convince him that some unique name should be attached to that
>variant, or we could provide a mechanism that lets people tag what
>they want without so doing.

Yeah, right. It's 01:00 and I'm going to have to deal with this
tomorrow, but you DON'T know anything about Middle Cornish, and it
DOESN'T fit into this kind of neat-and-tidy century box. Accordingly,
I am suspicious of neat and tidy boxes. However appealing such
"quick-and-dirty white-board" ideas might seem "good" to M. Davis, it
is the case that M. Everson does his job with some diligence, and
wishes to make sure we do not make a hames of this RFC.

And you didn't say anything about the other 19 centuries CE or the
BCE centuries either.