Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 17:56:53 CET 2006

Thanks very much for your information.  I knew I did not know the exact
syntax for requesting a tag and appreciate your corrections; I also worried
that the hyphen was not a legitimate tag character but it made my tag so
much clearer; I'll request the tags without the hyphen.

The 100-year period works for 17th century French; although there are many
varieties of French spoken in the 17th century including French that is more
modern than it was in the 16th century it has not stabilized into modern
French (which it does in the 18th century); thus 17th century written French
documents may have elements of Middle French, Modern French, plus new words
from the Americas or more references to travel and to ways of
travelling/different types of kingdoms and such.
But the use of centuries is also as a convenience; because we break up
things into centuries it makes the naming system easily recognizable.

As for the variant subtag for 16th century French so that documents from
that period can be requested as Modern French documents; it is not quite the
same as having documents in French and English requested together.  16th
century French and modern French are mutually comprehensible; in the 17th
century some people are clearly still speaking 16th century French and some
are speaking almost modern French and I assume they could understand one
another.

Middle French is not really a distinct language; it is simply a dialect of
Modern French.  Requesting documents in both French and Middle French as a
unit is more like requesting documents in English and Southern or Black (but
close to Standard) English as a unit.

Thanks.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com