Alemanic & Swiss German

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 1 08:04:11 CET 2006

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> Personally, I don't care whether it is resolved to be
>
> Alemanic (including Swiss German)
> // which is what 639-3 seems to be pointing to
>
> or
>
> Swiss German (a particular variant of Alemanic)
> // which is what the code (gsw) seems to be pointing to

Whatever is decided about the scope of this code element, or subtag, we
need to be careful not to delude ourselves into thinking that changing
the description to something like "Alemanic (including Swiss German)"
will solve anything.  It will have no effect at all of use of the
subtag.  People who need to indicate Swiss German will continue to use
"gsw", and people who need to indicate Alemanic generally will also
continue to use "gsw".  If there is a problem, it can only be solved by
*removing* an inappropriate name.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/