Request for variant subtag: western

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Aug 30 03:43:47 CEST 2006

Frank Ellermann scripsit:

> To get a new generic variant without prefix you've to violate a
> SHOULD.  I don't see a good excuse why "western" should start
> without prefix "hy".  After that it's bound to "hy", you can
> add other prefixes, but using it elsewhere is "inappropriate".

I don't see the SHOULD.  3.1 says:

	Records of type 'variant' MAY have more than one field of type
	'Prefix'. Additional fields of this type MAY be added to a
	'variant' record via the registration process.

--
All Gaul is divided into three parts: the part          John Cowan
that cooks with lard and goose fat, the part            http://ccil.org/~cowan
that cooks with olive oil, and the part that            cowan at ccil.org
cooks with butter. -- David Chessler