Request for variant subtag: western

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Aug 29 23:51:44 CEST 2006

Michael Everson scripsit:

> I don't like this kind of thing at all. There are many compass
> directions and subdivisions thereof (North by Northwest etc), and
> there are hills and valleys and there are various levels of altitude.
> There is Hill Mari and Forest Mari. This list of vague generic
> (sub)tags like this is pretty endless.

Very true, and as we need them, we can add them.  The alternative is
inventing new language-specific variant subtags when generic ones
reflect standard practice, as with Armenian and many other languages.

This should be approved.

--
Where the wombat has walked,            John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
it will inevitably walk again.          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan