New item in ISO 639-2 - Zaza

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Aug 25 18:00:00 CEST 2006

Peter Constable scripsit:

> But just because the macrolanguage is added to 639 doesn't mean that
> we need to make it available for use in 3066ter. We here in this WG
> can decide what we would want to have happen in that scenario. We do
> not need to get guarantees from the 639 JAC to ensure stability in
> our protocols. (Which is exactly the same thing I'd say wrt the 639-1
> "freeze": we don't need any guarantees from the JAC about new alpha-2
> IDs; we can simply decide that we will not allow use any new alpha-2
> IDs from this point forward.)

At the moment, we have no such option: if the various RAs and MAs add
a new code element, we MUST add it to the registry.  The most we can
do is deprecate it on the spot.

If we want to add the option to reject (and I'd be nervous about it --
this list could in future be captured by Not Invented Here bigots),
we need to add it to 3066ter.

By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall     cowan at ccil.org
have neither the Ring nor me!  --Frodo          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan