New item in ISO 639-2 - Zaza

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 25 02:45:20 CEST 2006

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Frank Ellermann

> Who's that "we" in this statement, the subtag list ?  I'd hope
> that the business of introducing new macrolanguages or not is
> the job of ISO 639, and not a side-effect of 639-2 doing this,
> and 639-3 doing that (= nothing, for the part after the "or" in
> your scenario).

There will *not* be a problem of 639-2 and 639-3 doing incompatible things. If a macrolanguage or individual language is added to 639-2, it will necessarily be added to 639-3; IDs for things in 639-3 will never change because it is getting "promoted" into 639-2; meanings of things in 639-3 will never change because it is getting "promoted" into 639-2.

Peter Constable