New item in ISO 639-2 - Zaza

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Aug 23 22:16:28 CEST 2006

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> But the macrolanguage in 639-3 doesn't just create itself, does it?
> Suppose -- this is my whole point really -- suppose this happened in the
> 3066ter era.  The Registry would contain primary language subtags "diq"
> and "kiu".  Now suppose 639-2 adds "zza" and we need to add it as well.
> We would have to reclassify "diq" and "kiu" from primary to extended,
> right?

Yes, we'd have to deprecate diq and kiu in favor of zza-diq and zza-kiu
respectively.  (We need to make sure our deprecation rules allow that.)

OTOH, once the 639-3/RA is up and running and participating in the
RA/JAC, such events will become less likely.

> Actually, it may be a blessing in disguise that this use case occurred
> before we start working on 3066ter.

Indeed.

--
Why are well-meaning Westerners so concerned that   John Cowan
the opening of a Colonel Sanders in Beijing means   cowan at ccil.org
the end of Chinese culture? [...]  We have had      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Chinese restaurants in America for over a century,
and it hasn't made us Chinese.  On the contrary,
we obliged the Chinese to invent chop suey.            --Marshall Sahlins