Proposal to reserve ISO 3166-1 code elements

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Apr 12 22:33:41 CEST 2006

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> In a message to ietf-languages on April 3, I listed 15 formerly used
> code elements from ISO 3166-1 that are classified not as "transitionally
> reserved" or otherwise "reserved," but as "unassigned."  These 15 code
> elements are summarized as follows:
>
> DD   German Democratic Republic (withdrawn 1990)
> YD   Yemen, People's Democratic Republic of (withdrawn 1990)
> 13 others:  BQ, CT, FQ, HV, JT, MI, NH, NQ, PC, PU, PZ, VD, WK
> (withdrawn 1977 through 1986)

[snip]

> Debbie Garside and I have talked about this issue and agree that the MA
> should be asked to reserve these code elements, especially DD and YD,

I agree that DD and YD should be transitionally reserved.

But as for the other thirteen: HV, NH, and VD represent country names
abandoned more than 20 years ago, and the rest represent parts of
countries or Antarctic territories whose codes were also abandoned
two decades ago.  All of them predate RFC 1766 and are not in the
subtag registry, so they can have no impact on it.  I think it's
entirely unnecessary to remove them from the available pool of
unreserved codes.

--
Verbogeny is one of the pleasurettes    John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
of a creatific thinkerizer.             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan