3066ter (Re: Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Apr 10 18:10:54 CEST 2006

Harald Alvestrand scripsit:

> in one of my more crotchety moods, I'm inclined to claim that if
> someone's unwilling to type or tape 50 samples of a language and send
> these off to five different institutions, that person shouldn't waste
> the time of the rest of the world in pushing for his language to have a
> tag this week rather than a year or two from now......... ie I'd say
> that if a real need exists, and the proposer has already managed to pass
> through whatever minefield guards the access to 639-3 registration,
> he'll find a way.....

I tend to agree (reading "639-2" for "639-3"), but we'll have to await events.

> For the tags that have failed to meet whatever criteria 639-3 sets for
> language tags, but are still seen as valuable (if such a beast can
> exist) variant registration seems like a reasonable course to recommend.

Here I can't agree.  A language isn't a variant just because it hasn't
gone through the 639-2 process, and Gagauz in particular isn't a variant
of any other language, though it does belong to the Turkic language *family*.

--
You know, you haven't stopped talking           John Cowan
since I came here. You must have been           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
vaccinated with a phonograph needle.            cowan at ccil.org
        --Rufus T. Firefly