Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 2 20:13:55 CEST 2006

As Caoimhin O Donnaile <caoimhin at smo dot uhi dot ac dot uk> alluded
to, we with the new region subtags we now have a way to tag the two
major flavors of Norman French used in the Channel Islands:

    fr-GG  for Dgèrnésiais (Guernsey)
    fr-JE  for Jèrriais (Jersey)

This is based on the Ethnologue (and hence ISO/DIS 639-3) approach of
treating most Norman French languages as dialects of French.

There is still no standard tag for Sercquiais (spoken by 15 residents of
Sark) or Auregnais (formerly spoken on Alderney, now extinct), but due
to the small speaker base I doubt this will be a real-world problem.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA