el-latn, ru-latn, and related possibilities

Tex Texin tex at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Oct 7 01:49:20 CEST 2005

Peter thanks.
I buy most of what you say.
OK- ru-Latn has usefulness without specifying transliteration.

It seems wasteful however to specify both transliteration and script, since
script is implied by the transliteration scheme. Size of tags is somewhat a
concern for my users. But it probably isn't a compelling argument for this
list.

The argument about the importance of script presumes heavily that tags are
for written text which increasingly is not true. Given that matching will no
longer be simple truncation anyway, placing script in a position that
impacts existing software and tags just doesn't make sense to me. But that
argument is independent of my questions on transliteration.

The issue of transliteration vs dialect precedence I confess ignorance and
follow your lead.
But I think your arguments are for the same position I had, which is that
transliteration is more important than region/dialect and so
zh-Latn-pinyin-cn is better than zh-Latn-cn-pinyin.
Do I read you wrong? I assume dialect is related to region, perhaps you had
yet another subtag in mind.

My thought was that transliteration implied script, and some degree of
orthography, which would be required to properly parse written materials,
before one could consider dialect. It also seemed natural to me to modify
the script tag or even supplant script with a transliteration tag.
I would also think that to some extent if I know how to "render" the
transliteration, I may not care about dialect as the pronunciation is
reflected in the transliteration. So for publishing purposes I might choose
a neutral or widely acceptable dialect and use that for multiple regions
just as broadcasters in the US use a midwestern dialect for national
broadcasts. Or a neutral pronunciation/transliteration for es-419... In that
event, I want the tag hierarchy to have transliteration higher than region
and only if I get into region specific language or dialect would I provide a
suitable subtag.

Tex Texin
Internationalization Architect,   Yahoo! Inc.