[Fwd: Re: Variant subtag: clarification briefly sought.]

John Clews scripts20 at uk2.net
Wed Oct 5 19:03:48 CEST 2005

Ignore the preious email from me: it was incomplete, and I inadvertently
pressed "send" instead of "discard."

John

Subject: Re: Variant subtag: clarification briefly sought.
From:    "John Clews" <scripts20 at uk2.net>
Date:    Wed, October 5, 2005 6:02 pm
To:      "John.Cowan" <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
Cc:      "John Clews" <scripts20 at uk2.net>
         ietf-languages at iana.org

Hi John [Cowan]

Just making the point that I had asked one question backwards: I had written:

>> Is there a default
>> el-Latn
>> which therefore has certain characteristics which
>> el-Latn-[variant]
>> does not have?

to which you replied:

> Formally speaking, no.  In practice, probably also "no" in this case,
because there are so many formal and informal ways of writing Greek in
the Latin script, with none particularly dominant.

What I should have asked was

>> Does
>> el-Latn-[variant]
>> have certain characteristics which
>> el-Latn
>> does not have?

I had thought from the previous emails that there was a subtag called
-[variant] but it appears that this