el-latn, ru-latn, and related possibilities

John.Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Sun Oct 2 18:04:50 CEST 2005

John Clews scripsit:

> The question arises: is there any plans in anybody's minds for ru-latn,
> hi-latn, etc? If so, I would certainly applaud them.

We are now in a transitional stage between the RFC 3066 regime, in which
ru-Latn requires registration, and the RFC 3066bis regime, in which
ru-Latn will be freely usable without registration.  As such:

a) If someone needs ru-Latn urgently, we will almost certainly approve it.
Just fill out the form and wait the two weeks for formal approval.

b) If it can wait a while, then it's better to let it, as it reduces the
burden on Doug Ewell, who has to keep the prototype RFC 3066bis registry
in sync with the official RFC 3066 registry until the switch is made.

> The question arises is as follows: just as de-de-1901 and all the similar
> subtagging exists for German, might there be advantages in registrations
> (or alternatively a mechanism which avoided the need for registrations)
> which listed widely used transliterations into Latin?

We haven't yet settled whether (when we are fully in the RFC 3066bis
regime) we should handle transliterations as simple variants (like
historical orthographies, geographical and social dialects, and the
like) or via the new extension machinery of RFC 3066bis, which is
more work to set up but is more general-purpose.  In any case,
someone would have to maintain a registry of transliterations,
transcriptions, and orthographies: no one has taken on that job yet.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them