John Clews

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Nov 16 21:01:53 CET 2005

With a sad heart I must inform you that a long-standing member of our
community, John Clews, has died in London. John came at character-set
technology from the bibliographical community, and was involved in
the early development of ISO/IEC 10646, before the merger of its
character set with that of the Unicode Standard. John was also active
in the area of transliteration standards, and was chairman of ISO
TC46/SC2, which is now the ISO TC46/WG3 which I myself chair.

Most recently, John was working to re-activate the UK character-set
committee, work which will continue now in his absence.

You will be missed, John. Om mani padme hum.