[Ltru] Re: Frisian problems

John.Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Nov 10 09:29:41 CET 2005

Frank Ellermann scripsit:

> No, that's IMO backwards.  Because frr will be registered as
> 3066bis language, the fy-frr (or fry-frr ?) extlang combo won't
> make it in 3066ter.

I agree entirely.  Shorter subtags beat longer ones.  (It would be
'fy-frr', FWIW.)

An alternative is to change DIS 639-3 so that 'fry' is no longer a
macrolanguage but simply the 639-3 code for Western Frisian, which
is far and away the most prominent kind of Frisian.  In that case,
the RFC 3066bis language subtags would be simply  'fy', 'frr', and
(in RFC 3066ter) 'stg'.

I don't know how much turmoil that would cause with existing data.
It may even be that the 639-2/RA assumed that 'fy'/'fry' already meant
Western Frisian specifically.

--
LEAR: Dost thou call me fool, boy?      John Cowan
FOOL: All thy other titles              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
             thou hast given away:      jcowan at reutershealth.com
      That thou wast born with.         http://www.reutershealth.com