Distinguishing Greek and Greek

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Mar 17 18:10:54 CET 2005

At 15:24 17/03/2005, Peter Constable wrote:
> > From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> > bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of JFC (Jefsey) Morfin
>
>First, I didn't realize that Word was typically used as a Web browser.
>Secondly, I would guess that it could display 99% of all the text on the
>Web encoded in Unicode or other industry standard encodings.

Dear Peter,
I am not sure of what you mean here. Why do you talk of web browser? And
yes, Word can read pages on the web, but?
Anyway, my version of Word supports a list of possible 72 languages
including 13 versions of English. "Possible" because they are supported
only if I load them.

> > Real life may be more complex than 3 descriptors language tags. (BTw
>this
> > is why we need 5 of them (which can default to 3 when we know 2, or
>even
> > 1, when we know 4). But Word uses 5 and Microsoft has a good proven
> > experience in the area).
>
>Microsoft does not use 5-letter language identifiers.

I do not know what you name a 5-letter language identifier?

Word defines a language through 5 attributes you can find in:
- Tools - languages: languages, script and country (however they do not
have country and script at the same time)
- Tools - options - grammar and orthography: dictionaries, rules of style
(I translate for French, the terms on your copy may be different).

Then you can customize the rules of style. If you find an other key
attribute thank you to let me know.
jfc